IMC/Teddy was originally founded in 1955 under the name Stainless Equipment Fabricators, Inc. (or “SEFI”). IMC/Teddy started as a local fabrication shop manufacturing made-to-order stainless steel food service equipment for restaurants, hotels, schools, and institutional kitchens located mostly in the tri-state New York City area. In 1969 SEFI acquired Institutional Maintenance Corporation (IMC). At about that time, food service consultants and architects nationwide began to specify floor troughs in their designs and proposals. Addressing this need, IMC/Teddy developed a national sales representative network and cultivated the IMC/Teddy brand name.